North Battleford will have a little less waste in its landfill now that the Town of Battleford has decided to use an alternate service.
The city confirmed at its Feb. 12 meeting that it received a letter from the town indicating it would end its agreement to use the North Battleford Waste Management Facility effective April 18.
The city had already factored in the resulting loss in revenue from the termination in the contract in this year's budget.
"This has been known for awhile," said Mayor Ryan Bater. "It's a significant amount of money, but it also means we don't fill our landfill as quickly. The Waste Management Facility has a capacity, so this will reduce the amount of waste going in there."
The town previously had a contract in place with the city to use its facility from 2013 to 2018, paying non-resident rates. Battleford was responsible for hauling the refuse to the city's facility.
At its July 17, 2017, meeting, the Town of Battleford discussed plans to enter into an agreement with Loraas Environmental Services to build a new waste transfer station in Battleford. Loraas is to cover the cost of the facility.
Battleford Mayor Ames Leslie has said it will be more efficient for the town and its residents to have a facility right in Battleford. The new facility will be located south of 13 St. W, next to the town's old decommissioned landfill site.
The transfer station will only accept household and solid waste, not hazardous-waste materials. There will also be containers at the site for recyclables.
When the trailer at the new the waste transfer station is full, Loraas will move the contents to a landfill in the RM of Wilton, located south of the town of Marshall.
The new waste transfer station was expected to be completed in early 2018, in time for the change over from the contract with the city in April.
LLR discusses funding increase at town meeting
Lakeland Library Region (LLR) gave an update on its services and need for a funding increase when...
READ MORE +
RCMP to permanently expand Crime Reduction Team initiative in Sask.
The Saskatchewan RCMP are receiving $1.6 million from the Ministry of Corrections and Policing to...
READ MORE +
Man charged with assaulting peace officer with weapon on Big River F.N.
A 41-year-old man is charged with assaulting a peace officer with a weapon after a tense incident...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.