Organizers say Battlefords Operation Red Nose campaign a success

By Greg Higgins
January 4, 2018 - 2:00pm

Despite the drop in total rides this year, the Battlefords Operation Red Nose was still considered a huge success to organizers.

The ride service, which picks up the owner of a car from a night out drinking and drives them and their vehicle home safe, gave a total of 255 rides between Nov. 24 and Dec. 31, down from 305 last year.

“Even if we only gave 100 rides it would still be successful, because that means we got 100 people home safe,” said Bill Bowman, organizing committee chair.

Bowman wasn't sure why there were fewer riders this year, but thought it could have been due to the cold weather and thought maybe less people were going out, or driving their cars.

The service is free, but donations are accepted and proceeds go toward the local KidSport program, which helps families with financial challenges put their kids into organized sports. Bowman said those who used the service were generous.

“The majority donated something towards the program. There were very few people who didn’t. It is offered free and we understand if they use the service without a donation. It is a win-win because we got them home safe.”

According to Bowman, this year’s $4,689 in donations was down about $600 from last year, but 100 per cent will still be donated directly to KidSport. The chair couldn’t give an exact date of when the official donation will be made, but said a ceremony will be held in the next couple of weeks.  

 

[email protected]

On Twitter @realgreghiggins

More violence in North Battleford with reports of shots fired

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.