A police stand-off at a Saskatoon home is over.
Police were called to the 500 block of Avenue Q North on Thursday at around 9 a.m. after getting a report of a break and enter in progress.
The person making the report told police there was a man who they did not know inside their house.
Officers went into the home and found a suspect inside a bedroom who was in possession of a long-barreled firearm. Police Chief Clive Weighill told reporters the officers engaged with the man, and shots were fired. Police then exited the home and established a perimeter.
They re-entered the home at about 4:30 p.m. and found a man dead inside.
"We didn't know if he was still holed up and barricaded inside the bedroom until we could clear the house," Weighill said.
He added that a preliminary investigation suggest police fired their weapons, but it's not clear if shots were fired by the suspect.
It's also unknown how the man died, whether it was self-inflicted or from the exchange with police.
A request has been made to the Department of Justice to assign another agency to provide oversight as an investigation into the incident is launched.
Weighill said the officers involved will have a few days off.
"We don't want them to come back to work right away," he said. "They seem fine right now but I think that's the last thing any police officer wants to be involved in, because you're always going to second guess your actions."
HOMEOWNER'S SON SPEAKS
Earlier in the day, Jeffery Zerebeski spoke with 650 CKOM and the house belongs to his father.
He said his Dad came home from an appointment to find his window and door had been smashed.
Zerebeski said his father then came to his place nearby, where they phoned police.
"My Dad and I then went back over, back to the house and from that point on it's just been non-stop police," he said.
Zerebeski said there was concern because there are guns stored in the house.
Saskatoon Police had been diverting traffic away from the area.
AAA Stars hand out team awards at end of year banquet
The Battlefords AAA Stars held their year-end banquet this past weekend to thank the coaching staff...
READ MORE +
Man dies in rollover near Cando Saturday
Battleford's RCMP report a 34-year-old man died in an SUV rollover near Cando on Saturday. Cpl....
READ MORE +
N.B. Kinsmen rodeo kicks off Friday
The 48th annual Kinsmen Indoor Rodeo will be returning to North Battleford starting Friday evening...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.